St. Peter's Church, Blaxhall, built in the 14th century, is set within a hedged graveyard. It is a warm and welcoming village church, with the touch of local hands through the ages very much in evidence.
St. Peter's is now in need of some repairs to the exterior fabric. Details are available on display boards in the Church porch. The Parochial Church Council (PCC) is currently fundraising so as to be able to undertake these repairs as soon as possible. If you would like to make a contribution to the £30,000 cost of the repairs, please contact the Treasurer, Sheila Scopes, on 01728 688178
The rôle of our local vicar was fulfilled by Rev'd Barrie Slatter until his retirement on 9th February 2014. We wish Barrie and Susan a long and happy retirement. During the Interregnum we are fortunate to have Rev'd Celia Cook as (temporary) Curate (see below) and administrative matters are being looked after by the Benefice Administrator, Ann Boulter (contact details below). Our ordained local minister is Nigella Youngs-Dunnett and our lay elder is Shirley Leeks. Our churchwardens at Blaxhall are Robin Graham and Miranda Barclay.
- Blaxhall Spring Concert, 3.00pm Saturday 1st March 2014, Blaxhall Village Hall, with Beccles Tutti Bands. Tickets £8 (including special 'Blaxhall Tea') from Sheila Scopes 01728 688178 or Robin Graham 01728 602039. All are welcome.
- Blaxhall Community Coffee Morning, 10.30am Tuesday 4th March 2014, YHA Hostel, Blaxhall. All are welcome.
- Blaxhall Community Lunch Club. By popular request, a new venture, 12.30pm Tuesday 11th March 2014, YHA Hostel, Blaxhall - £4.99 per person. Full English or cooked Vegetarian options available - book at 4th March Coffee Morning or call Sue on 01728 689177 All are welcome.
- Blaxhall Annual Parochial Meeting The Annual Parochial Meeting will be held in St. Peter's Church at 7.30pm on Monday 17th March, to receive the Annual Report and Financial Statement, elect Churchwardens, members of the PCC, etc., and to discuss matters of general interest. All are welcome.
- Rev'd Celia Cook: We are delighted to welcome the Reverend Celia Cook who has joined the Benefice as Curate. Unfortunately, we shall be losing Celia at the end of March 2014 when she leaves to take up her new post at Mark's Tey.
Upcoming Services and Events 2014
- 1st March, Blaxhall Spring Concert with Beccles Tutti Bands, 3.00pm, Blaxhall Village Hall
- 2nd March, Sunday next before Lent, 9.30am Holy Communion (CW)
- 5th March, Ash Wednesday, 7.30pm Holy Communion and Imposition of Ashes
- 9th March, First Sunday of Lent, 11.00am Morning Prayer (BCP)
- 16th March, Second Sunday of Lent, 8.30am Holy Communion (BCP)
- 17th March, Annual Parochial Meeting, 7.30pm in the Church
- 23rd March, 3rd Sunday of Lent (Annunciation), 9.30am Morning Prayer (CW)
- 30th March, Mothering Sunday, 11.00am Morning Prayer (CW)
- Parish Administrator during the Interregnum, Ann Boulter 01728 603180
- Nigella Youngs-Dunnett (Assistant Priest) 01728 688660
- Robin Graham (Church Warden) 01728 602039
- Miranda Barclay (Church Warden) 01728 688750
- Mike Cowling (Secy. Parochial Church Council) 01728 689177
During Christmas 2003 (and over subsequent years) Philip Dunnett had the great idea of floodlighting the church, which made St Peter’s look comforting enough for me to creep around the graveyard in the dead of night taking photographs! Please click on the image for a high resolution version.
Simon Knott has included St Peter's on his Suffolk Churches website, and our place of worship also features on the Open Churches Trust site. Various facts, figures, dates, and old photos of the church can be found on our history pages and pictures taken from the tower can be found in the photograph section of the site
The greetings cards shown below are available for sale inside the church, with proceeds going towards church funds (no high-res versions of these - if you want one you’ll have to buy it!)