St. Peter's Church, Blaxhall, built in the 14th century, is set within a hedged graveyard. It is a warm and welcoming village church, with the touch of local hands through the ages very much in evidence.
St. Peter's is now in need of some repairs to the exterior fabric. Details are available on display boards in the Church porch. The Parochial Church Council (PCC) is currently fundraising so as to be able to undertake these repairs as soon as possible. If you would like to make a contribution to the £30,000 cost of the repairs, please contact the Treasurer, Sheila Scopes, on 01728 688178
The rôle of our local vicar was fulfilled by Rev'd Barrie Slatter until his retirement on 9th February 2014. We wish Barrie and Susan a long and happy retirement.
During the Interregnum all pastoral and administrative enquiries should go to the Benefice Administrator, Ann Boulter (contact details below).
Our lay elder is Shirley Leeks. Our Churchwardens at Blaxhall are Robin Graham and Sue Cowling.
- Blaxhall Community Coffee Morning. This monthly event will next be held at 10.30pm on Tuesday 1st July 2014, YHA Hostel, Blaxhall. All are welcome, whether Blaxhall residents or visitors. There is no charge but voluntary donations to the YHA Charity, which provides holidays for disadvantaged young people, are welcome.
- Blaxhall Festival. This Festival weekend, 28th and 29th June, 11.00am to 5pm includes an Art Exhibition in the Village Hall and the Flower Festival in St Peter's Church. There is also a programme of music, games and other activities in the Church and churchyard, together with a range of catering including lunches on both days, in marquees in the churchyard. All are welcome.
Upcoming Services and Events 2014
- 28th & 29th June, Blaxhall Festival, 11.00am until 5.00pm
- 29th June, 2nd Sunday after Trinity, 11.00am Benefice Holy Communion (CW) with Alde Valley Singers - St. Peter's Patronal Festival Service
- 6th July, 3rd Sunday after Trinity, 09.30am Holy Communion (CW)
- 13th July, 4th Sunday after Trinity, 11.00am Morning Prayer (CW)
- 20th July, 5th Sunday after Trinity, 8.30am Holy Communion (BCP)
- 27th July, 6th Sunday after Trinity, 9.30am Morning Prayer (CW)
- Parish Administrator during the Interregnum, Ann Boulter 01728 603180
- Robin Graham (Church Warden) 01728 602039
- Sue Cowling (Church Warden) 01728 689177
- Mike Cowling (Secy. Parochial Church Council) 01728 689177
Ebb and Flow
- Ebb and Flow is the (free) monthly newsletter of the River Alde Benefice, including Blaxhall. A copy of Ebb and Flow is delivered to every household in Blaxhall and spare copies are usually available in the Church porch.
- The electronic version may be found at www.ebbnflow.org.uk
- Anyone wishing to place a notice or advert in Ebb and Flow please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone Mike Cowling, 01728 689177
During Christmas 2003 (and over subsequent years) Philip Dunnett had the great idea of floodlighting the church, which made St Peter’s look comforting enough for me to creep around the graveyard in the dead of night taking photographs! Please click on the image for a high resolution version.
Simon Knott has included St Peter's on his Suffolk Churches website, and our place of worship also features on the Open Churches Trust site. Various facts, figures, dates, and old photos of the church can be found on our history pages and pictures taken from the tower can be found in the photograph section of the site
The greetings cards shown below are available for sale inside the church, with proceeds going towards church funds (no high-res versions of these - if you want one you’ll have to buy it!)