St. Peter's Church, Blaxhall, built in the 14th century, is set within a hedged graveyard. It is a warm and welcoming village church, with the touch of local hands through the ages very much in evidence.
St. Peter's was recently in need of some repairs to the exterior fabric. Details are available on display boards in the Church. The Parochial Church Council (PCC) initiated fundraising so as to be able to undertake these repairs, which were completed in August 2015. The PCC wishes to express its very sincere gratitude to all those individuals and organisations whose generous contributions made it possible to undertake these repairs.
From the beginning of 2015 we have been delighted to welcome the Rev Mandy Reynolds as the new Rector for the Alde River Benefice. Mandy's contact details are listed below. Unfortunately, Mandy has recently resigned her role and will be leaving the Benefice during May 2016.
All administrative enquiries should go to the Benefice Administrator, Ann Boulter (contact details below).
Our Churchwardens at Blaxhall are Sue Cowling and Eric Reeve (contact details below).
- Blaxhall Community Coffee Morning. This monthly event will next be held at 10.30pm on Tuesday 4th April 2016, in the YHA Hostel, Blaxhall. All are welcome, whether Blaxhall residents or visitors. There is no charge for the coffee morning but voluntary donations to the YHA Charity, which provides holidays for disadvantaged young people, are welcome.
- Village Concert, Saturday 16th April, 3pm, Village Hall. Once again we are delighted to welcome the Tutti Bands from Beccles who have kindly agreed to perform for us. Their concert in Blaxhall in 2014 was a very successful event, enjoyed by many. One characteristic of the bands is the large proportion of young people, who are all able to play at least two instruments. Tickets £8 (u-16 £4), including an awesome Blaxhall Tea, from Sheila Scopes, 01728 688178
Upcoming Services and Events 2016
- 3rd April, Second Sunday of Easter, 10.00am, Benefice Holy Communion (CW). Benhall
- 10th April, Third Sunday of Easter, 11.00am, Holy Communion (CW)
- 17th April, Fourth Sunday of Easter, 8.30am, Benefice Holy Communion (CW), Great Glemham
- 17th April, Fourth Sunday of Easter, 10.00am, Benefice Morning Praise, Great Glemham
- 24th April, Fifth Sunday of Easter, 9.30am, Praise and Worship for Everyone
- 1st May, Sixth Sunday of Easter, 10.00am, Benefice Holy Communion (CW)
- Rector, Rev. Mandy Reynolds, 01728 602846
- Benefice Administrator, Ann Boulter, 01728 603180
- Sue Cowling (Church Warden) 01728 689177
- Eric Reeve (Church Warden) 01728 688078
- Mike Cowling (Secy. Parochial Church Council) 01728 689177
Ebb and Flow
- Ebb and Flow is the (free) monthly newsletter of the River Alde Benefice, including Blaxhall. A copy of Ebb and Flow is delivered to every household in Blaxhall and spare copies are usually available in the Church porch.
- The electronic version may be found at www.ebbnflow.org.uk
During Christmas 2003 (and over subsequent years) Philip Dunnett had the great idea of floodlighting the church, which made St Peter’s look comforting enough for me to creep around the graveyard in the dead of night taking photographs! Please click on the image for a high resolution version.
Simon Knott has included St Peter's on his Suffolk Churches website, and our place of worship also features on the Open Churches Trust site. Various facts, figures, dates, and old photos of the church can be found on our history pages and pictures taken from the tower can be found in the photograph section of the site
The greetings cards shown below are available for sale inside the church, with proceeds going towards church funds (no high-res versions of these - if you want one you’ll have to buy it!)