St. Peter's Church, Blaxhall, built in the 14th century, is set within a hedged graveyard. It is a warm and welcoming village church, with the touch of local hands through the ages very much in evidence.
St. Peter's was recently in need of some repairs to the exterior fabric. Details are available on display boards in the Church. The Parochial Church Council (PCC) initiated fundraising so as to be able to undertake these repairs, which were completed in August 2015. The PCC wishes to express its very sincere gratitude to all those individuals and organisations whose generous contributions made it possible to undertake these repairs.
From the beginning of 2015 we were delighted to welcome the Rev Mandy Reynolds as the new Rector for the Alde River Benefice. Unfortunately, Mandy resigned her role and left the Benefice during May 2016. The Alde River Benefice is now in a period of Interregnum whilst the processes to appoint a new Incumbent are progressed.
All administrative enquiries should go to the Benefice Administrator, Ann Boulter (contact details below).
Our Churchwardens at Blaxhall are Sue Cowling and Eric Reeve (contact details below).
- Blaxhall Community Coffee Morning. This monthly event will next be held at 10.30am on Tuesday 4th October 2016, in the YHA Hostel, Blaxhall. The October event is linked to the National Macmillan Coffee Mornings in aid of Cancer Support and in Blaxhall will be held in memory of Shirley Leeks. There will also be a Bring and Buy Stall. All are welcome, whether Blaxhall residents or visitors. There is no charge for the coffee morning but voluntary donations to Macmillan are welcome.
- Blaxhall Harvest Festival, Harvest Lunch and Auction of Produce The annual Harvest events will be held on Sunday 9th October with the Harvest Festival Service at 11.00am followed by the Harvest Lunch in the Village Hall, which is then followed by the Auction of Harvest produce. Proceeds all go to various charities. Tickets for the Harvest Lunch (£7 for adults and £3.50 for under-16s) - limited in number by the capacity of the Village Hall - may be obtained from Sheila Scopes, 01728 688178.
Upcoming Services and Events 2016
- 25th September, Eighteenth Sunday after Trinity, 9.30am, Praise and Worship for Everyone
- 2nd October, Nineteenth Sunday after Trinity, 10.00am, Benefice Holy Communion (CW), Sternfield
- 9th October, Twentieth Sunday after Trinity, 11.00am, Harvest Festival, followed by Harvest Lunch & Auction.
- 16th October, Twenty-First Sunday after Trinity, 8.30am, Benefice Holy Communion (CW) Farnham
- 16th October, Twenty-First Sunday after Trinity, 10.00am, Benefice Morning Praise (CW) Farnham
- 23rd October, Last Sunday after Trinity, 9.30am, Praise and Worship (CW)
- 30th October, All Saints Day, 10.00am, Benefice Holy Communion (CW) Great Glemham
- 30th October, All Saints Day, 6.30pm, Choral Evensong Snape
- 3rd November, Third Sunday before Advent, 10.00am, Benefice Holy Communion (CW) Benhall
- Benefice Administrator, Ann Boulter, 01728 831485
- Sue Cowling (Church Warden) 01728 689177
- Eric Reeve (Church Warden) 01728 688078
- Mike Cowling (Secy. Parochial Church Council) 01728 689177
Ebb and Flow
- Ebb and Flow is the (free) monthly newsletter of the River Alde Benefice, including Blaxhall. A copy of Ebb and Flow is delivered to every household in Blaxhall and spare copies are usually available in the Church porch.
- The electronic version may be found at www.ebbnflow.org.uk
Each year, from Advent Sunday until Candlemas the exterior of St Peter's Church is floodlit, which makes St Peter's look comforting - see photograph on the left. Please click on the image for a high resolution version.
Simon Knott has included St Peter's on his Suffolk Churches website, and our place of worship also features on the Open Churches Trust site. Various facts, figures, dates, and old photos of the church can be found on our history pages and pictures taken from the tower can be found in the photograph section of the site
The greetings cards shown below are available for sale inside the church, with proceeds going towards church funds (no high-res versions of these - if you want one you’ll have to buy it!)