St. Peter's Church, Blaxhall, built in the 14th century, is set within a hedged graveyard and has recently undergone refurbishment. It is a warm and welcoming village church, with the touch of local hands through the ages very much in evidence.
The rôle of our local vicar is fulfilled by Barrie Slatter. Our ordained local minister is Nigella Youngs-Dunnett and our lay elder is Shirley Leeks. Our churchwardens at Blaxhall are Robin Graham and Miranda Barclay.
- Blaxhall Christmas Concert and Blaxhall Tea, 3pm Saturday 7th December, in the Village Hall with the Royal British Legion Training Band. Tickets (£5) from Sheila Scopes, 01728 688178.
- Blaxhall Community monthly Breakfast Club. Start 2014 with a delicious cooked breakfast! Served from 8am until 10am, Tuesday 7th January 2014, £4.99 per person. Full English or cooked Vegetarian options available - book by 28th December at Youth Hostel Reception, open until 10am and from 5.30pm each day. 01728 688206
- Blaxhall Community Coffee Morning, 10.30am Tuesday 7th January 2014, YHA Hostel, Blaxhall. All are welcome.
- Rev'd Celia Cook: We are delighted to learn that the Reverend Celia Cook (currently Curate in Aldeburgh) is to join the Benefice as Curate after Christmas 2013 and will be helping to look after the Benefice when Barrie Slatter retires in February 2014. This is excellent news and we look forward to welcoming Celia to Blaxhall.
Upcoming Services and Events 2013
- 1st December, Advent Sunday, 9.30am Holy Communion (CW)
- 8th December, Second Sunday of Advent, 11.00am Morning Prayer (BCP)
- 15th December, Third Sunday of Advent, 8.30am Holy Communion (BCP)
- 22nd December, Fourth Sunday of Advent, 6.30pm Carol Service
- 24th December, Christmas Eve, 11.30pm Holy Communion (CW)
- 29th December, First Sunday after Christmas, 10.00am Benefice Holy Communion, Snape
- 5th January 2014, Epiphany, 9.30am Holy Communion (CW)
- Barrie Slatter (Rector) 01728 603180
- Nigella Youngs-Dunnett (Assistant Priest) 01728 688660
- Robin Graham (Church Warden) 01728 602039
- Miranda Barclay (Church Warden) 01728 688750
- Mike Cowling (Secy. Parochial Church Council) 01728 689177
During Christmas 2003 (and over subsequent years) Philip Dunnett had the great idea of floodlighting the church, which made St Peter’s look comforting enough for me to creep around the graveyard in the dead of night taking photographs! Please click on the image for a high resolution version.
Simon Knott has included St Peter's on his Suffolk Churches website, and our place of worship also features on the Open Churches Trust site. Various facts, figures, dates, and old photos of the church can be found on our history pages and pictures taken from the tower can be found in the photograph section of the site
The greetings cards shown below are available for sale inside the church, with proceeds going towards church funds (no high-res versions of these - if you want one you’ll have to buy it!)