St. Peter's Church, Blaxhall, built in the 14th century, is set within a hedged graveyard. It is a warm and welcoming village church, with the touch of local hands through the ages very much in evidence.
St. Peter's was recently in need of some repairs to the exterior fabric. Details are available on display boards in the Church. The Parochial Church Council (PCC) initiated fundraising so as to be able to undertake these repairs, which were completed in August 2015. The PCC wishes to express its very sincere gratitude to all those individuals and organisations whose generous contributions made it possible to undertake these repairs.
From the beginning of 2015 we were delighted to welcome the Rev Mandy Reynolds as the new Rector for the Alde River Benefice. Unfortunately, Mandy has resigned her role and left the Benefice during May 2016. The Alde River Benefice is now in a period of Interregnum whilst the processes to appoint a new Incumbent are progressed.
All administrative enquiries should go to the Benefice Administrator, Ann Boulter (contact details below).
Our Churchwardens at Blaxhall are Sue Cowling and Eric Reeve (contact details below).
- Blaxhall Community Coffee Morning. This monthly event will next be held at 10.30pm on Tuesday 7th June 2016, in the YHA Hostel, Blaxhall. All are welcome, whether Blaxhall residents or visitors. There is no charge for the coffee morning but voluntary donations to the YHA Charity, which provides holidays for disadvantaged young people, are welcome.
- Blaxhall Festival, Saturday/Sunday 25/26th June, 11am-5pm. Flower Festival, catering and a wide range of activities for all ages at St Peter's Church plus Art Exhibition in the Village Hall.
Upcoming Services and Events 2016
- 5th June, Second Sunday after Trinity, 10.00am, Benefice Holy Communion (CW). Farnham
- 12th June, Third Sunday after Trinity, 11.00am, Holy Communion (CW)
- 19th June, Fourth Sunday after Trinity, 8.30am, Benefice Holy Communion (CW), Snape
- 19th June, Fourth Sunday after Trinity, 10.00am, Benefice Morning Praise, Snape
- 26th June, Fifth Sunday after Trinity, 11.00am, St Peter's Patronal Festival Service
- 2nd July, Sixth Sunday after Trinity, 10.00am, Benefice Holy Communion (CW), Great Glemham
- Benefice Administrator, Ann Boulter, 01728 603180
- Sue Cowling (Church Warden) 01728 689177
- Eric Reeve (Church Warden) 01728 688078
- Mike Cowling (Secy. Parochial Church Council) 01728 689177
Ebb and Flow
- Ebb and Flow is the (free) monthly newsletter of the River Alde Benefice, including Blaxhall. A copy of Ebb and Flow is delivered to every household in Blaxhall and spare copies are usually available in the Church porch.
- The electronic version may be found at www.ebbnflow.org.uk
During Christmas 2003 (and over subsequent years) Philip Dunnett had the great idea of floodlighting the church, which made St Peter’s look comforting enough for me to creep around the graveyard in the dead of night taking photographs! Please click on the image for a high resolution version.
Simon Knott has included St Peter's on his Suffolk Churches website, and our place of worship also features on the Open Churches Trust site. Various facts, figures, dates, and old photos of the church can be found on our history pages and pictures taken from the tower can be found in the photograph section of the site
The greetings cards shown below are available for sale inside the church, with proceeds going towards church funds (no high-res versions of these - if you want one you’ll have to buy it!)