St. Peter's Church, Blaxhall, built in the 14th century, is set within a hedged graveyard. It is a warm and welcoming village church, with the touch of local hands through the ages very much in evidence.
St. Peter's was recently in need of some repairs to the exterior fabric. Details are available on display boards in the Church. The Parochial Church Council (PCC) initiated fundraising so as to be able to undertake these repairs, which were completed in August 2015. The PCC wishes to express its very sincere gratitude to all those individuals and organisations whose generous contributions made it possible to undertake these repairs.
From the beginning of 2015 we have been delighted to welcome the Rev Mandy Reynolds as the new Rector for the Alde River Benefice. We look forward to the future with her at the helm. Mandy's contact details are listed below.
All administrative enquiries should go to the Benefice Administrator, Ann Boulter (contact details below).
Our Churchwardens at Blaxhall are Robin Graham and Sue Cowling (contact details below).
- The annual Candlemas Service is at 6.30pm on Sunday 31st January, followed by refreshments. This year we are delighted that the service is a combined Candlemas and Choral Evensong, with the Alde River Singers led by Bill Gloyn. All are welcome.
- Blaxhall Community Coffee Morning. This monthly event will next be held at 10.30pm on Tuesday 2nd February 2016, in the YHA Hostel, Blaxhall. All are welcome, whether Blaxhall residents or visitors. There is no charge for the coffee morning but voluntary donations to the YHA Charity, which provides holidays for disadvantaged young people, are welcome.
Upcoming Services and Events 2016
- 24th January, Third Sunday of Epiphany, 9.30am, Praise and Worship for everyone
- 31st January, Fourth Sunday of Epiphany, 6.30pm, Candlemas and Choral Evensong Service
- 7th February, Sunday next before Lent, 9.30am, Holy Communion (CW)
- 14th February, First Sunday of Lent, 11.00am, Morning Prayer (BCP)
- 21st February, Second Sunday of Lent, 8.30am, Holy Communion (BCP)
- 28th February, Third Sunday of Lent, 9.30am, Praise and Worship for everyone
- 6th March, Fourth Sunday of Lent, 9.30am, Holy Communion (CW)
- Rector, Rev. Mandy Reynolds, 01728 602846
- Benefice Administrator, Ann Boulter, 01728 603180
- Robin Graham (Church Warden) 01728 602039
- Sue Cowling (Church Warden) 01728 689177
- Mike Cowling (Secy. Parochial Church Council) 01728 689177
Ebb and Flow
- Ebb and Flow is the (free) monthly newsletter of the River Alde Benefice, including Blaxhall. A copy of Ebb and Flow is delivered to every household in Blaxhall and spare copies are usually available in the Church porch.
- The electronic version may be found at www.ebbnflow.org.uk
- Anyone wishing to place a notice or advert in Ebb and Flow please email firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone Mike Cowling, 01728 689177
During Christmas 2003 (and over subsequent years) Philip Dunnett had the great idea of floodlighting the church, which made St Peter’s look comforting enough for me to creep around the graveyard in the dead of night taking photographs! Please click on the image for a high resolution version.
Simon Knott has included St Peter's on his Suffolk Churches website, and our place of worship also features on the Open Churches Trust site. Various facts, figures, dates, and old photos of the church can be found on our history pages and pictures taken from the tower can be found in the photograph section of the site
The greetings cards shown below are available for sale inside the church, with proceeds going towards church funds (no high-res versions of these - if you want one you’ll have to buy it!)