St. Peter's Church, Blaxhall, built in the 14th century, is set within a hedged graveyard. It is a warm and welcoming village church, with the touch of local hands through the ages very much in evidence.
St. Peter's is now in need of some repairs to the exterior fabric. Details are available on display boards in the Church porch. The Parochial Church Council (PCC) has been fundraising so as to be able to undertake these repairs as soon as possible. As a result of some grants and many generous donations, the PCC now has sufficient funds to undertake the repairs as soon as the final permissions for the work become available. The work started in October 2014 and the first phase was completed by Christmas. The second phase is weather sensitive and will be completed during the summer of 2015. The PCC wishes to express its very sincere gratitude to all those individuals and organisations whose generous contributions are making it possible to undertake these repairs.
From the beginning of 2015 we have been delighted to welcome the Rev Mandy Reynolds as the new Rector for the Alde River Benefice. We look forward to the future with her at the helm. Mandy's contact details are listed below.
All administrative enquiries should go to the Benefice Administrator, Ann Boulter (contact details below).
Our lay elder is Shirley Leeks. Our Churchwardens at Blaxhall are Robin Graham and Sue Cowling.
- Blaxhall Community Coffee Morning. This monthly event will next be held at 10.30pm on Tuesday 4th August 2015, in the YHA Hostel, Blaxhall. All are welcome, whether Blaxhall residents or visitors. There is no charge but voluntary donations to the YHA Charity, which provides holidays for disadvantaged young people, are welcome.
Upcoming Services and Events 2015
- 2nd August, 9th Sunday after Trinity, 9.30am Holy Communion (CW)
- 9th August, 10th Sunday after Trinity, 11.00am Morning Prayer (BCP)
- 16th August, 11th Sunday after Trinity, Alde Valley Classics Day, Riverside Centre, Stratford, 11am-4pm
- 23rd August, 12th Sunday after Trinity, 9.30am Morning Prayer(CW)
- 30th August, 13th Sunday after Trinity, 10.00am St Mary's Church Farnham, Benefice Holy Communion
- 6th September, 14th Sunday after Trinity, 9.30am Holy Communion(CW)
- Rector, Rev. Mandy Reynolds, 01728 602846
- Benefice Administrator, Ann Boulter, 01728 603180
- Robin Graham (Church Warden) 01728 602039
- Sue Cowling (Church Warden) 01728 689177
- Mike Cowling (Secy. Parochial Church Council) 01728 689177
Ebb and Flow
- Ebb and Flow is the (free) monthly newsletter of the River Alde Benefice, including Blaxhall. A copy of Ebb and Flow is delivered to every household in Blaxhall and spare copies are usually available in the Church porch.
- The electronic version may be found at www.ebbnflow.org.uk
- Anyone wishing to place a notice or advert in Ebb and Flow please email email@example.com or telephone Mike Cowling, 01728 689177
During Christmas 2003 (and over subsequent years) Philip Dunnett had the great idea of floodlighting the church, which made St Peter’s look comforting enough for me to creep around the graveyard in the dead of night taking photographs! Please click on the image for a high resolution version.
Simon Knott has included St Peter's on his Suffolk Churches website, and our place of worship also features on the Open Churches Trust site. Various facts, figures, dates, and old photos of the church can be found on our history pages and pictures taken from the tower can be found in the photograph section of the site
The greetings cards shown below are available for sale inside the church, with proceeds going towards church funds (no high-res versions of these - if you want one you’ll have to buy it!)